Thursday, January 29, 2009

Guess Who's One?

I mean seriously, Loden is a one-year old kid? Where in the heck did the last 365 days go? I know people always say that when you have children, days go by so much quicker, but boy, didn't think it'd go by this fast! One minute we're rocking him to sleep at odd hours of the night and now we're planning a birthday party? Oh, wait, we're still rocking him to sleep at odd hours of the night. Still, I never would have imagined myself being one of those people who send out invites to friends/family for a kid's birthday. Never thought I'd go shopping for party supplies with kid related theme. Never did it cross my mind that I have to special order a kid's birthday cake. Good grief, and this is just year one!

At any rate, I remember day zero when we were all at St. Paul Hospital, now part of the University of Texas Medical Center (nice plug, eh?) at 6 am. It was dull for the first 12 hours (at least for me, wife would kill me!), just sitting around waiting. Around 6:45pm, we were all just relaxing watching the Simspons on TV (how aprospo) and next thing you know, HE'S COMING! I'll spare you from all the gory details, but I remember every detail of that moment. I remember being able to hold him. I remember seeing our parents' faces when we told them he was here. I remember getting to change the first dirty nappy (yeah, I have to say 'get to', wife would kill me otherwise).

The last year was indeed very tough on both of us. We've always wanted children, but we were never exposed to anything like this therefore had no real idea what to expect. Not that there's anything to prepare you for parenthood, but we were both quite acclimated to a very sedentary lifestyle. Next thing you know, there's a Loden-bug we're having to chase around until 11pm. As I'm writing this, I miss him tons! Not that he's far away, more like it just makes me appreciate him that much more. I hope Loden never stops smiling, never stops laughing and never stops being silly. I don't care if he's 10, 30 or 50 ... I hope all his birthdays are as fun and goofy as his first. Here's to you my boy, love you tons and tons!

Enjoy the pics! And we hope to see you on his official birthday bash on the 8th of February.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's a video of Loden bouncing and enjoying his new Elmo chair:

3 comments:

Alan said...

I can't believe it has been a whole year! I wish we were able to come and see y'all for his official party. Maybe sometime when Kate is less high maintenance. =)

The Bouldins said...

what a cutie!! Happy Birthday, Loden!

Bern said...

That is just adorable!! I know - the year went by SO fast. You guys are doing a fantastic job with Loden! Enjoy every moment....